Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Listening

Tonight on the Marriage Course the discussion was on listening. I realized that my listening skills are not so hot. Sila Lee said there are several common hindrances to effective listening. She listed these listener types:
  • Reassurer -- the one who says "never mind, it will all be okay."
  • Advice giver -- waits for the speaker to finish and then gives advice, whether wanted or no
  • Intellectualizer -- takes the discussion into esoterica
  • interrupter -- waits for a pause in the speaker's words and then says what is on the mind
  • Going off on a tangent -- changes the subject.
I am guilty of at least the first three, and I short circuit my communications with friends, children and wife by doing so.

Lord help me to change those patterns!

No comments:

Post a Comment