Monday, November 29, 2021

Beating Nighttime Wakefulness with Peace: A Strategy that Works

A few months back, I shared a strategy for filling nighttime wakefulness with peace rather than the usual half-wakeful thoughts of the evils afoot in the world today.  This is an update: it not only works, it works REALLY well.

The strategy originated in a casual comment from the leader of the Bethel movement, Bill Johnson.  In the midst of a sermon on something else, he remarked that when he is awake at night, he will go over in his mind scriptures that he has memorized.

I thought to myself, “I can do that,” and I was motivated because at that time, I was plagued by wakefulness on and off during the night hours.  Often I would lay half-awake for a half hour or more.  Anyone else identify with that?

Anyway, I dove into it.  I started off with the 23rd Psalm: “The Lord is my shepherd.  I shall not be in want….”  That helps my peace.   I branched off into Colossians 3:1-3 and Romans 12:1-2 to remind myself to guard my eyes and ears and to renew my mind.  I will add more going forward.

Today, more than 6 months later, I can tell you that this practice has brought about a revolution in my sleeping patterns.  I ALMOST NEVER lose sleep these days.   I typically fall asleep again after only a few seconds…...and I know that because when I awake, I sometimes remember where I left off in my meditation on this or that scripture.  If I have trouble, I just switch scriptures.  Boom.  Back to sleep.

AND, while I typically sleep within a minute or two of my head hitting the pillow, if I have trouble, I just start reciting my memorized scriptures, or think on the scriptures I read just before I put my head down.  

Here’s another thing: I learned that my brain has figured out a way to do this.  It’s almost as if the 23rd Psalm has a structure.  I can almost touch it.  I believe with practice, I could learn much longer sections.

One last thing: this is renewing my mind.  I am no longer wasting mind share on things that spin me up that I cannot change.  I am thinking more on things above.  I don’t ignore what is happening in the world; I spend a little time each day looking at current events locally, nationally and internationally.  But that’s not where I keep my mind.  It’s just not profitable for me or my family or my calling.

Do I recommend it?  Sure!  Not everyone wants to memorize scripture, of course.  I would think that favorite lines of peaceful poetry would also serve well.

How do you manage your thoughts in times of mid-night wakefulness?



Image by wisconsinpictures from Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment