Thursday, September 03, 2020

Finding Peace in the Turbulence of Today


2020 so far has felt like endless turbulence, with no end in sight.  Peace has seemed far away.  Maybe you can relate?

Early in the year I sought information, and then perspective, more information and then more perspective.  I sought much of it on the Internet: the news, social media, Zoom calls with friends, streamed church services, discussions with friends and family.  That produced mostly discouragement, depression and lassitude mixed with times of encouragement and peace.  


What I have come to is this: there is a way to approach the multiple difficulties we face with peace.  I believe I have found a bright path and along it I have already found more peace.


It’s simple really; just not easy.   Here it is:


“Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.”    Paul the Apostle wrote that.


“Seeking” and “setting my mind on” has for me meant first reducing my input whatever gets in the way of that pursuit.  For me, that has meant turning down to a small trickle my input of news and social media.  Could we not all admit that these are both sources of unease in our lives? They both promise much and deliver little.


I then have had to direct my emotions and my mind to the serious business of “seeking” and “setting”.  


Early this morning my heart tells me I have found an important key: The things above are realities of the Kingdom of God.  Paul wrote elsewhere that the Kingdom is about righteousness, peace and joy.   Jesus spoke of another Kingdom reality: love.


Therefore, I will seek these in their fullness.  And, on them is where I will take my stand, rather than on the shifting ground of public opinions.  From them, I will order my thoughts and emotions and live my life -- especially in these turbulent days.


No comments:

Post a Comment