Friday, January 06, 2006

Civil liberties vs terror

In the news recently we find that President Bush has authorized occasional wiretapping of American citizens. And, horrors, the White House website uses cookies.

Not surprisingly, the Bush haters, the civil libertarians, and legions of their liberal acolytes are screeching loudly.

Lost in the din is any real recognition of the war footing of the United States, and the traitorous intent of some of our citizens. It may have escaped the attention of the above, but we are locked in a to-the-death struggle with jihadist Islam.....oops, sorry....I meant to say "terrorists". I need to make that clear to the PC police.

It has now been almost 5 years since 9/11. Does the above crowd believe that the war is over, or that we can win this war by being polite civil libertarians?

We will as a nation react strongly when the jihadists strike again. We will be asking the same questions: why didn't we know in advance?

I want my government to use every legal means to ferret out and destroy the bad guys. If the legal means are insufficient, I want my government to craft new, temporary, legal means sufficient for the task.

This would be funny if not for the mortal danger. This is a war. In war, one fights the enemy as hard as possible until victory is achieved.

I say "damn the torpedoes...full speed," Mr. Bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment